The Woolworths Fresh Food Pavilion at the Ekka will once again offer a huge selection of fresh and delicious local produce for sale and for tasting. There will be over 70 vendors sharing their best.
Inside the pavilion, celebrity chef Dominique Rizzo will host the Royal Queensland Food and Wine Show Cooking Stage, where aspiring chefs and home cooks will learn plenty of kitchen tips and tricks.
The best of the country comes to the city during the Ekka, and students from the heart of our salad bowl, the Lockyer Valley, are busy preparing their cattle and agricultural displays. The valley grows upwards of 90% of Australia’s winter vegetables.
CHARRED BRASSICA SALAD
1 whole broccoli
Handful of macadamia nuts
Sprinkle salt and pepper
1. Shave away the outer layers of broccoli stalk
2. Cut the stalk of cauliflower and peel away leaves
3. Slice both broccoli and cauliflower into thick steaks to evenly fry on grill pan
4. Drizzle olive oil over broccoli and cauliflower, season with salt and pepper ready for frying
5. Add vegetables onto preheated pan and cook both sides until caramelised
6. Whilst vegetables are frying prepare dressing –
7. In a small bowl squeeze the juice of one lemon, a generous amount of olive oil and
season with salt and pepper (3 – 4 parts acid to oil)
8. Once vegetables are charred, roughly cut into pieces and add to a large mixing bowl
9. Place macadamia nuts, feta, capers and herbs in mixing bowl
10. Pour lemon dressing into bowl and toss all ingredients together until dressing is evenly
distributed over all ingredients
11. Serve whilst warm and garnish with nasturtium and basil flowers
Royal Queensland Show
Woolworths Fresh Food Pavilion open daily